Week 10 6446
Eating Disorders and Body Image
• Francisco, R., Narciso, I., & Alarcoa, M. (2013). Parental
influences on elite aesthetic athletes’ body image dissatisfaction
and disordered eating. Journal of Child & Family Studies, 22(8),
• Hargreaves, D. A., & Tiggemann, M. (2004). Idealized media images and adolescent body image: “Comparing” boys and girls.
Body Image, 1(4), 351–361.
• Lacoste, S. M. (2017). Looking for the origins of anorexia
nervosa in adolescence-a new treatment
approach. Aggression and violent behavior, 36, 76-80.
• Scarborough, J. (2018). Family-Based Therapy for
Pediatric Anorexia Nervosa: Highlighting the
Implementation Challenges. The Family Journal, 26(1), 90-
• Smolak, L. (2004). Body image in children and adolescents:
Where do we go from here? Body Image, 1(1), 15–28.
• Document: DSM-5 Bridge Document: Eating Disorders and
Body Image (PDF)
• Geller, J., & Dunn, E. C. (2011). Integrating motivational
interviewing and cognitive behavioral therapy in the treatment of
eating disorders: Tailoring interventions to patient readiness to
change. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice, 18(1), 5–15.
• Khan, F., & Chowdhury, U. (2011). Eating disorders in children
and adolescents. British Journal of Medical Practitioners, 4(1),
• Lock, J., & Fitzpatrick, K. K. (2009). Advances in psychotherapy
for children and adolescents with eating disorders. American
Journal of Psychotherapy, 63(4), 287–303.
• Raich, R. M., Portell, M., & Pelaez-Fernandez, M. A. (2010).
Evaluation of a school-based programme of universal eating
disorders prevention: Is it more effective in girls at risk?
European Eating Disorders Review, 18(1), 49–57.
• Talleyrand, R. M. (2010). Eating disorders in African American
girls: Implications for counselors. Journal of Counseling &
Development, 88(3), 319–324.
Body Image and Media Messages
the URL to an online advertisement or attach a
scan/photocopy of the print advertisement to the discussion thread.
Then, post a brief description of the advertisement you selected. Explain how this advertisement made you feel and explain why.
Finally, explain one way this advertisement might affect a child or
adolescent and how. Be specific.
Be sure to support your postings and responses with specific
references to the week’s resources.