Current and emerging technologies in healthcare provide nurses with the opportunity to improve patient outcomes through ever-increasing access to data and evidence. Decisions made at both the point of care and the organizational level are impacted by information support systems. Nurses prepared at the master’s level fill a key role in leading unit and organizational change that incorporates these emerging technologies into the improvement of patient safety and quality of care.
This assessment consists of evaluating two key roles commonly expected of the master’s-prepared nurse: (1) shaping and guiding a group process as the identified leader of a project team and (2) evaluating the project team’s products and synthesizing that work into a written proposal and presentation designed to be delivered to the executive leadership team of the healthcare system.
- click here for more information on this paper
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
You are a clinical nurse specialist with a Post-Masters Nursing Informatics Certificate working in a 100-bed community hospital that is still using paper documentation. You lead a multidisciplinary team comprised of hospital professional staff. You have been assigned the task of investigating and recommending a new computerized management system that will bring the hospital in compliance with meaningful use legislation.
A. Write a proposal for a new information management system to implement meaningful use by doing the following:
1. Describe your project committee by doing the following:
a. Identify four or more interdisciplinary team members to be on the project committee, including each team member’s title and position in the organization.
b. Describe the role each team member will play in the implementation of the system.
c. Explain why each team member’s expertise is necessary for the success of this project.
2. Choose two real-life computerized management systems and analyze the two systems by doing the following:
a. Summarize the advantages and disadvantages of the two systems.
b. Recommend which system is the best choice to meet meaningful use requirements in this particular setting.
c. Describe how the features of the recommended system meet the guidelines outlined in the three stages of meaningful use.
d. Describe how the recommended system will impact patient care and documentation.
e. Explain how using the recommended system to access information will impact the quality and delivery of nursing care and patient outcomes.
3. Discuss how the proposed system and adoption of meaningful use will benefit the organization by doing the following:
a. Provide two examples of ways that quality improvement (QI) data collected from the system can be gathered and tracked to identify the occurrence of problems and errors.
b. Discuss security standards and methods, including the need for data storage integrity and data backup and recovery.
c. Explain how the recommended system will protect patient privacy.
d. Explain how the recommended system meets Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) requirements.
e. Describe how adopting the system will reduce costs to the organization, including standardizing documentation, reducing waste, and increasing productivity and factors that address human and capital resources.
4. Explain why active nursing involvement in the planning, selection, and implementation of the systems is important to the success of the implementation process and meeting meaningful use requirements.
B. Create a multi-media presentation (i.e., PowerPoint or Keynote; Prezi will not be accepted) presentation for the executive leadership team that summarizes a plan for implementing the new information management system. Address the following in your presentation:
1. Explain how hospital staff will be trained to use the new system by addressing each of the following questions:
● Who will train the staff?
● What will be included in the training?
● When and how frequently will training sessions take place?
● Where will the training sessions take place?
2. Discuss a plan for implementation (e.g., the launch date, initial rollout, modified workloads, and/or onsite user-support).
3. Discuss a plan for incidences of system failure.
Note: Include presenter notes for slides as appropriate in order to fully cover the level of explanation, analysis, and discussion necessary.
C. When you use sources, include all in-text citations and references in APA format.Attachments: